Wednesday, November 19, 2014

What do Rocky, Forrest Gump, and Karate Kid have in common?

Whether it's Rocky's training, Forrest Gump's running cross country, or the Karate Kid's final tournament, there are many different ways of montage. Sergei Eisenstein, the father of montage, made a montage where people were running down steps and some soldiers where firing at them, well what should have been only a few minutes in real life, ended up being about seven minutes. Montage's should relate to emotion, the five senses, or either slow down or speed up time. I always thought a montage was a group of clips that didn't really tell a story, but have a certain theme to them, like Call of Duty montage of cool kills or anything like that. Those are more like collages in a way. In Rocky, or Forrest Gump, they are making the montage as a use to speed up time. Andre Bazin, said that lack of montage can actually benefit certain types of films. However without cutting and making time go by faster, can make movies both really long and drawn out, confusing because they may just cut a bit out all together, and make movies more boring to watch.

In my montage, I related with the more emotional side of things, and decided to relate to something very hard. I had a plan about a guy committing suicide, and it was really powerful. I almost decided not to do it due to some events that happened in my school. I worked really hard on it and I made up the story, filmed it, acted in it, and edited it. It was very hard and intense thing to get into and edit after a while, with conflicting opinions and a lot of advice, I came out with a pretty solid video. While I know I need to work on many things, like lighting and making sure both audio and video tell a story without needing each other, I believe this film was one of the best I have ever done, especially since I did it all on my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment